Physicians and Surgeons Coverage
As a physician-founded and physician-run organization, CAP always has your best interests at heart. When you join CAP, you join 12,000 of California’s finest physicians who are benefitting from not only superior and affordable medical malpractice protection through our Mutual Protection Trust, but outstanding physician support benefits.
Patients rely on you every day to provide the best care possible. But can you rely on your current malpractice insurance carrier to care for you when you need them most? CAP offers physicians solid, dependable medical professional liability coverage coupled with exceptional member care, including a 24/7 claims and risk management hotline.
Affordable. Reliable. Better.
CAP was founded on the principle of providing physicians with the finest coverage available at the most affordable rates. That remains our commitment today.
We attribute our competitive advantage to disciplined underwriting, proactive risk management, expert claims representation, and a time-proven financial arrangement only CAP offers.
You receive superior coverage that is affordable, reliable, and better. And because managing a practice can be complex, we are committed to supporting you with valuable programs and services, including a 24-hour adverse outcomes hotline, human resources support, EHR consultation, and more.
Receive medical malpractice coverage at rates that can't be beat. Physicians can save up to 20%–40% or more when they switch to CAP.
Since 2006, CAP’s Mutual Protection Trust has earned an A+ (Superior) rating by A.M. Best Company for its financial strength and ability to meet ongoing coverage and contractual obligations.
As a CAP member, you enjoy a wide range of additional resources, benefits, and programs specially designed to minimize risk, maximize protection, and foster growth for your practice -- all at no additional charge.*
Our wide variety of complimentary services helps you run a successful practice, including:
- Human Resources Support - get answers to employment-related questions
- CAP Purchasing Alliance - a free member benefit that saves you money on everyday purchases of supplies and services for your practice
- Practice Guides - get access to educational guides to help you meet the latest healthcare regulations, improve patient satisfaction, and increase the success of your practice
Online medical records can mean exposure to data breaches, heavy regulations, and the threat of patient identity theft. Your membership includes a CyberRisk Liability program at no additional cost, and provides you with:
- $50,000 of protection against potential data breach, including privacy liability, computer information security, and electronic media liability.
- A web-based risk management tool
- Expenses related to patient notification of up to 5,000 records – more for larger groups
- *Various exclusions may apply.
You may be reimbursed up to $25,000 in legal expenses from:
- Medical Board allegations of incompetent or unprofessional conduct
- Government investigations of Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse
- Alleged regulatory noncompliance with HIPAA or EMTALA
- Proceedings initiated by a hospital that may adversely affect privileges or credentialing
*Various deductibles and/or exclusions may apply.
As a CAP member, I enjoy the supplemental benefits that CAP provides free of charge, and I have the option to purchase more protection for my practice at affordable prices.In addition to these complimentary supplemental benefits, CAP members have the option of increasing coverage at favorable rates to further protect their practices.
Best-in-class claims management and legal defense to provide you with exceptional representation.
Your early intervention hotline that helps you manage adverse outcomes, any time, any day.
When you call the 24/7 CAP Cares Hotline at 1-800-252-0555 about an adverse event, you can speak directly with a risk management specialist to get expert guidance on any risk management-related issues.
Our highly experienced claims staff provides you with assertive, comprehensive, and effective management.
- The average tenure of a CAP claims specialist is 15 years
- Most claims staff have earned their JD or RN
- Our attorneys are the finest medical professional liability practitioners in the area
At CAP, we recognize the importance of supporting you when you face a lawsuit. Our Litigation Education Retreat is a comprehensive program available at no cost to CAP physicians and their spouses, because the impact of a lawsuit is both professional and personal.
The daylong program helps physicians to:
- Effectively deal with litigation stress
- Better understand the litigation process
- Gain valuable communication skills for deposition, arbitration, and trial
- Build confidence for their own case through an invaluable "mock deposition"