Practice staff are finding themselves with less time than ever before to complete day-to-day administrative tasks, including scheduling and confirming patient appointments. This is partially due to increased patient volumes and new administrative regulations, such as the No Surprise Billing Act that went into effect January 1 of this year.
According to a poll conducted by the Medical Group Management Association in May 2022, 50% of medical groups are seeing an increase in patient volumes over 2021, with 30% stating their volumes are equal to 2021 volumes. Patient demand combined with the “great resignation” of the last two years have left staff with more responsibilities, giving them less time to complete routine duties that are critical to the success and productivity of their practice.
How can practices optimize workflow while keeping costs down? The answer is simple. Implementing technology can help you and your staff work smarter, not harder. Here are five good reasons why implementing a HIPAA compliant text messaging solution may be a good start. You can:
1. Reach patients quickly - 95% of texts are read within 3 seconds, which allows you to reach out more effectively.
2. Reduce call volume by eliminating “phone tag” and leaving endless messages for patients.
3. Decrease no-show rates by engaging patients electronically for billing and appointment reminders.
4. Save staff time and improve efficiency - Utilize an automated system for the most common patient requests, appointment requests, refill requests, appointment confirmations, and patient check in.
5. Facilitate online reviews and generate a positive online reputation.
By leveraging technology to assist your practice in managing day-to-day tasks, you and your staff can focus on the most important assets in your practice, excellent patient care, and customer service!
For tips and resources on finding the right technology to help you improve efficiency in your practice, CAP members can take advantage of My Practice.
My Practice is a free member benefit offering practice management and business support to help you run a successful medical practice and spend more time focusing on superior patient care.
You or any of your employees may contact My Practice to get help with any practice-related challenges, no matter how big or small. Call 213-473-8630 or email MyPractice@CAPphysicians.com for immediate assistance.
Andie Tena is CAP’s Director of Practice Management Services. Questions or comments related to this column should be directed to ATena@CAPphysicians.com.