Tools and Resources
CAP surrounds the member practice with expert risk management support and consultation through office risk assessments, adverse events support, compliance education, and more. Our risk management program is facilitated by specialists whose backgrounds encompass a cross-section of the healthcare and legal professions, including nursing, clinical risk management, vocational instruction and continuing education, case management, and medical research.
CAP's Risk Management Self-Assessment Kit provides practical strategies - including checklists - to help physicians, administrators, and office staff evaluate and reduce the risks commonly present in medical offices. Click here to download the kit.
CAP members enjoy the added benefit of in-person practice visits from a risk management and patient safety specialist. A Risk Management Practice Survey will review the following areas of risk:
Office Systems Review
- Complaint Management
- Recall and Tracking patients
- Medication Management
- Advanced Practice Professionals - PAs/NPs
- Phone Messages/plan/action documented
Medical Record Review
- Problem/Medication List
- Informed Consent process
- Telephone advice / messages protocol
Current members may request a free practice visit by contacting CAP’s Risk Management & Patient Safety Department at 800‑252‑7706 (Extension 8644) or by emailing the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Failure to comply with HIPAA can be extremely costly and time-consuming. CAP supports our physicians with valuable resources such as checklists and documents that are available to download at any time.
Sample HIPAA Resources:
Our early intervention program, CAP Cares, is designed to assist members in managing adverse events arising from patient care, 24/7. We help members with the following:
- Gathering facts
- Thoughtfully analyzing the adverse event
- Preparing for the conversation with the patient and family
- Anticipating questions which will likely be raised
- Coordinating with appropriate hospital personnel and other involved providers
When you call the 24/7 CAP Cares Hotline at 1-800-252-0555, you can speak directly with a risk management specialist to get expert guidance on unanticipated outcomes or adverse events.
CAP members can call us with any questions regarding implementing an EHR system, and speak with a specially trained EHR risk management specialist about:
- Selecting the most appropriate system
- Identifying what is needed to obtain federal stimulus funds for EHR implementation
- Understanding the importance of “meaningful use”
Find the forms you need to reduce risk, maximize patient safety and satisfaction, and run a more successful practice.